Why is water-based polyurethane so popular in the furniture industry? Well, it’s because it’s highly flexible and will stretch to fit any contour, whether it be a round coffee table, square bench, or circular bed frame. In addition, it’s not sticky or hard to apply to make it ideal for use on all types of wood, vinyl, metal, or stone surfaces.
In addition, unlike traditional polyurethane, which is made of toxic solvents, water-based polyurethane will not harm the environment. It’s also eco-friendly because it will not leave behind any toxic byproducts. Not only will water-based polyurethane be eco-friendly, but it will also last longer.
Our Top 8 Picks
Minwax Helmsman Water Based Spar Urethane, Quart, Gloss
Varathane 200141H Water-Based Polyurethane
TotalBoat Table Top Epoxy Resin 1 Gallon Kit
Rust-Oleum 250241 Diamond Spar Urethane Satin
SEAL-ONCE Nano+Poly Penetrating Wood Sealer
6. RUST-OLEUM 200231 Paint, 1-Gallon, Satin
Eco-Poly Polyurethane Sealer, Floor Finish, Wood Floor Sealer
Concrete Countertop Water Based Sealer
1. Minwax Helmsman Water Based Spar Urethane, Quart, Gloss
- PROTECTIVE CLEAR FINISH – Minwax Helmsman Water Based Spar Urethane is a crystal clear wood finish that is specially formulated to protect against nature’s toughest conditions.
- EFFECTIVE YEAR ROUND – This wood varnish forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture to protect your projects and keep them looking their best. Special oils allow the finish to expand & contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures change.
- VERSATILE – Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture, and more. It’s a versatile water-based spar urethane that dries quickly and cleans up easily with warm water.
- GLOSS FINISH – Give your wood projects a sleek finish with this gloss clear varnish. It not only protects the natural beauty of the wood but offers a shiny, sleek sheen for a modern look. It’s ideal for use over light-colored woods and stains.
- A BRAND YOU CAN TRUST – Minwax is America’s leading brand of wood finishing and wood care products. Since 1904, we have been inspiring consumers to Keep on Finishing. We offer consumers a complete line of products to meet every wood finishing need.
- Spar urethane
- Specially formulated protective clear finish for exterior or interior wood that is exposed to sunlight, water, or temperature changes
- Contains UV blockers to reduce the sun’s graying and fading effects
- Forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture
- Special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons and temperature changes
2. Varathane 200141H Water-Based Ultimate Polyurethane
- Protects indoor wood surfaces such as furniture, windows, cabinets, trim, and more
- Water-based formula dries fast and cleans up with soap and water
- Dries to the touch in 30 minutes with coverage up to 125 sq. ft., recoat after 2 hours
- Durable formula provides outstanding stain and scratch resistance with excellent clarity
- Semi-gloss finish creates a smooth and classy look
- Clear formula ideal for interior projects like furniture, doors, cabinets, and trim
- The best scratch and stain protection available
- Low odor and fast, easy soap and water clean-up
- Easy water clean-up
- Crystal clear finish that never yellows
3. TotalBoat Table Top Epoxy Resin 1 Gallon Kit – Crystal Clear Coating
- SUPER CLEAR EPOXY RESIN for a clear, high gloss finish on bar tops, table tops & countertops; add pigments, tints or encapsulations to make your piece truly unique; versatile craft resin is also great for coating tumblers and casting coasters & jewelry
- EPOXY RESISTS SCRATCHES, STAINS AND YELLOWING: Self-leveling formula cures to a finish as smooth as glass; use this versatile DIY resin on wood, concrete, ceramic, stainless steel, and more; 100% waterproof upon cure
- 2 PART EPOXY IS EASY TO USE: Just mix 1 part resin to 1 part hardener, stir thoroughly, and pour on your prepared surface; the epoxy will level on its own and cure at room temperature; maximum pour depth per layer is 1/8″ – 1/4″
- NO VOCs, LOW ODOR, BPA-FREE: No harsh fumes – ideal for indoor or shop use with adequate ventilation and proper PPE; all ingredients in this food safe epoxy resin are on the USDA approved list for contact with food, once cured; 100% made in the USA
- 1 GALLON EPOXY KIT includes 1/2 gallon of resin & 1/2 gallon of hardener; application temperature: 70-80°F; working time: 20 min. @ 70°F; recoat time: 4-8 hrs; cure time: 16-20 hrs @ 70°F; coverage: 12.8 sq ft at 1/8″ thick; store at 60-90°F
4. Rust-Oleum 250241 Diamond Spar Urethane Satin
- Stain & Finish
5. SEAL-ONCE Nano+Poly Penetrating Wood Sealer with Polyurethane
6. RUST-OLEUM 200231 Paint, 1-Gallon, Satin
- The product is easy to use
- The product is highly durable and handle
- The product is manufactured in the United States
- Country of Origin: China
7. Eco-Poly Polyurethane Sealer, Floor Finish, Wood Floor Sealer
- HIGH-QUALITY SURFACE FINISH: Our polyurethane sealer for wood, floor, and concrete surfaces provides scratch, crack, moisture, UV, and chemical resistance, ensuring a long-lasting sheen for your indoor and outdoor projects.
- WATER-BASED, LOW ODOR: Made with water-based polyurethane, this gloss finish sealer is virtually odorless and dries faster than its oil-based counterparts.
- MULTI-LAYER PROTECTION: The Eco-Poly sealer is formulated to be highly durable. For best results and optimum sealing, apply a minimum of two coats on the surface for an elegant gloss finish.
- VERSATILE USES: Excellent for applying a protective wood finish to your furniture, cabinets, decks, and wood floor. It can also be used as masonry, concrete driveway sealer, and concrete floor sealer.
- NON-TOXIC, SUSTAINABLE: The Eco-Poly wood and concrete polyurethane sealer are made with advanced plant-based urethane technology and bio-emulsion resins. It is free of toxic off-gassing, VOCs, and Red List Chemicals.
8. Concrete Countertop Water Based Sealer XS-327
- Concrete Countertop Sealer XS 327 Matte 1 Kit Excellent heat resistance. Withstands temperatures up to 300°F
- Concrete water-base sealer: modified acrylic co-polymer emulsion that doubles as a membrane forming curing compound and a long-lasting sealer, especially formulated for architectural applications. Concrete Water-Base Sealer quickly dries to a semi-gloss, non-yellowing, and durable barrier against moisture, oil, and most stains. Concrete Water-Base Sealer is a milky white liquid that sprays on blue and dries clear on any horizontal concrete surface.
- MIXING RATIO: 3 parts “A” to 2 parts “B” (water maybe added see rates below). COVERAGE Approximately 100 ft² per qt. (9.3 m² per 0.9 L) of catalyzed and diluted product 4 mils wet / completed system 2 mils cured
- WINTER FREEZE WARNING: This product could be frozen during shipping. We provide the shipping of the sealer with FREEZE PROTECTION. Please contact us to receive additional information.
There are two ways to protect your furniture. First, you can use the right water-based polyurethane for furniture, which will repel dirt, moisture, stains, bacteria, and mold. Second, you can seal your furniture with furniture wax. While both of these methods are effective, they’re not mutually exclusive.
If you choose to use furniture wax, make sure that the type you use is suitable for your furniture, and make sure that you apply it in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. In addition, keep in mind that some types of furniture wax may damage certain fabrics. For example, oil-based furniture waxes will ruin light-colored fabrics. So, be sure to test out different types of wax before applying it to your furniture.